Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Yummy Healthy Food?

When I first started eating healthy I thought it was disgusting!! Chicken, brown rice and lots of broccoli. But it turns out there are some pretty tasty recipes that use only clean or organic, fresh ingredients! I really like Tosca Reno. She has recipe books and lifestyle change books. She didn't start her clean lifestyle til she was in her 40's and one of her mottos are "it's never too late to start." I know she mostly talking to older men and women but it got ME thinking... I'm only in my early twenties. I have plenty of time to get good habits developed for the rest of my life. Anyways, Tosca Reno is also very involved with Clean Eating Magazine. This also has recipes, shopping tips and great advice! I have tried many clean recipes and they are delicious! I have a very busy life with school and work that it is easier for me to cook chicken, yam/brown rice in bulk. However, I try to make something yummy for dinners if I don't get home too late. I will try to post recipes I find that are good. Here is an average food day for me...

BREAKFAST
5-6 eggwhites with red peppers. (lately I've added black beans and avocado!!!)
1/8 cup (uncooked) Steel Cut Oats  or 1/4 cup (uncooked) regular oats (not quick oats)
1/2 cup grapefruit

SNACK 1
Greek yogurt plain fat free (I chose one with a high amount of protein)
Berries
Agave
Cookie (yes, a healthy cookie)

LUNCH
5oz cooked or 8oz uncooked chicken. (grilled or baked)
1/2 cup yam or brown rice
Spinach or broccoli

SNACK 2
Protien Shake
or something similar to my lunch

DINNER
This varies depending on my mood and schedule. Something clean

SNACK 3
Protein shake
Cookie

I've gotten a lot of recipes from a blog at www.bodyofamother.com and my sister-in-law.
Eating healthy gets easier. You start to crave fresh foods and eating something greasy or unhealthy starts to gross you out believe it or not. I have found one restaurant that is okay to go to on occasion, it's called Blue Lemon. Not all of there food is clean but you can find something decent if you look closely!

Calories are important to watch but more importantly you need to look at macros. Carbs, protien and fats. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm this website is great to figure out how much you should be eating of what. First you need to figure out how many calories you need to eat. You take your body weight and times is by 16. This is how many calories you must eat to MAINTAIN your weight. And to loose weight you'll times that number by 0.8.

Example: My body weight right now is 134lbs
134x16= 2144
I need to eat 2144 calories to maintain my weight.
2144x0.8=1715 calories to lose weight.
Next, plug this number into the formula on the website.

Your body needs fuel. If you starve your body it will hold on to everything you eat and you won't burn any fat. You also need muscle. Muscle helps to burn fat and to build muscle you need to exercise and eat protein!


This was lengthy, I'm sorry. I have a lot to say. I've learned a lot over the past year!


2 comments:

  1. For a second there I thought you meant you ate raw chicken... and uncooked oats... I get it now. This is great! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I should have clarified that the amounts were just for measuring my food. I definitely cook my food!!

    ReplyDelete