Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving

It's becoming that time of year where it's extra hard eat healthy with all the delicious and tempting holiday food. But I'm here to tell you it is possible to eat clean. Thanksgiving is all about turkey, yams and cranberries, right? Well guess what? They are all healthy items! Turkey is a great lean meat. Sweet potatoes or yams are complex carbs that your body needs for energy and cranberries provide antioxidants. Now, the trick is don't add all the sugar, gravy and butter and you have a clean meal. What about pie, you say? Pumpkin is also a great health choice. So here is a recipes for a guilt free pumpkin pie... (I have not tried this recipe yet but I trust the source.)


Ingredients

2 cups Pumpkin (canned)
1/2 cup agave
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
Instructions

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well.
Pour in crust and bake for 15 mins @ 425 F and then reduce to 350 F for 45 mins, uncovered.

Almond Crust
1 cup ground almonds
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/8 cup coconut oil (just under 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup splenda (I used stevia)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients together (works best with hands) and press into pie pan (9").
Bake according to pie filling instructions.

PREPARATION TIME: 20 mins
COOKING TIME: 1 hour
http://www.eatcleandiet.com/the_kitchen_table/recipe/recipe.aspx?id=618

Some of your who know me may say, "it's not fair your don't crave those foods anymore." And for the most part that's true but I didn't get like this without a struggle. Little by little I cut certain things out of my diet until I didn't eat anymore junk food. Instead of buying regular Cheetos I bought Natural Cheetos until I could finally give them up all together. I still drink diet soda because I'm still struggling to give it up. I used to drink 2-3 cans a day and now I drink one on the weekends or every other weekend. One day I won't want that anymore either.

Don't sit idle while you wait for a miracle pill. Go ahead and look for one but while you wait start changing your lifestyle little by little because in six months you'll wish you started today.
Six months ago I was 28 pounds heavier and 100 times more lazy and unhealthy. I'm glad I finally started!

I PROMISE you won't regret not eating that pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment