Friday, September 21, 2012

Homemade Protein Bars


I don't take credit for any of the recipes I put on my blog. I'm not a great cook. This recipe was given to me from my sister-in-law, Keila.

Nutritional Info: (when I made them this is how it came out.)
Calories: 416
Fats: 25gm 
Carbs: 34gm
Protein: 16gm

For me I thought there was a lot of fat in each bar so next time I make them I may adjust some things. I like having avocado and nuts in my other meals so I would like to lower the fat content in these.

No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars
1 Ripe Banana (mashed)
1.5 c Oats
(I toasted them but optional)
1/2 c Unsweetened Shredded Coconut 

1/2 c Raisins (or date chunks, cranberries, craisins, dried cherries/mangoes/apricots/etc. Any dried fruit will work)
1/2c mixed nuts (pumpkin, walnuts etc. I toasted them but you don’t have to.)
1/3 c Mini Chocolate Chips (or carob, butterscotch, white chocolate chips, etc.)
1/2 c Agave
1/2 c Peanut Butter (or any nut butter, i.e. almond, pecan, cashew, etc. I use cashew)

1/4 c Coconut Oil
The Following Ingredients are Optional but I used them all:

2 to 4 scoops of Protein Powder (I
f you don’t care about the protein aspect or don’t have on hand, just omit the Protein Powder all together)
2 Tbsp Flax Seeds
2 Tbsp Chia Seeds 
1.5 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Yields: Approximately 10 decent sized bars
Note: The above are rough measurements and you can use the kitchen sink mentality on this recipe: a dash of this, a dab of that, don’t have this but have tons of that, throw everything in but the kitchen sink strategy and they will “work”.  I promise. 

Storage: I store mine in the freezer, individually wrapped, so I can grab and go as needed.  They soften up quickly at room temp, and will keep for a month or more in the freezer. 

The Steps for the No-Bake Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars
First Mash the Banana

Then add the Oats, Coconut flakes , Flax & Chia SeedsProtein Powder , dates, Mini Chocolate Chips, Cinnamon (pretty much all solids)
Add the Peanut Butter, coconut oil, Xagave, Vanilla Extract, nuts etc (none solids)
Stir it all Together Sweet!
Press into a rectangle-style Container or 8×8 Pan (or use whatever you want, even a cookie sheet with a raised edge will work)
*I used plastic wrap underneath to create less messy dishes for myself. Popped it in the freezer for a few hours.  
After Freezing: I cut the semi-hard slab into 10 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment